Monday, April 4, 2011

Weekend recap, real women, and more random links

This weekend was really good.  We had a barbeque on Friday with some friends, hung out with a visiting Russian girl (a friend of the friends of friends of friends who we met in Moscow), and got to see some advance episodes of HBO's new series "Game of Thrones".  (It was fantastic.  More on that in a bit!)  Unfortunately in the middle of it on Saturday night I got really violently ill for no reason.  As in sweating and nausea and moaning "kill me now."  I know it wasn't something I ate, I hadn't eaten anything in 24 hours that the boyfriend hadn't and he was fine.  Very weird.  I threw up for 3 hours (sorry, TMI) and then I felt fine.  I had a piece of dry toast before bed and by morning felt almost back to normal.  Bizarre. 

I'll admit, in the middle of being miserable I thought, "Well, at least I might lose a few pounds."  Last time I had a stomach bug 5 years ago I dropped 6 pounds overnight.  And I was disappointed when Sunday morning my stomach didn't look any flatter and my pants weren't any baggier.  Probably has to do with all the water I drank to not get dehydrated and it's actually good.  I don't need to lose weight, plus it's not like that would actually be fat or anything but still.  I was bummed and then annoyed that I was sad over something so stupid.  Ugh.

My stomach still feels a little iffy today so I've been on bland foods.  Bananas and some vegetable soup.  I brought some frozen enchiladas for lunch but wasn't feeling up to it so I stuck with the soup and some cheese.  Apparently what happens if you put shredded cheese in hot vegetable soup is that it melts and all floats to the bottom in big clumps.  Still yummy though.

Now, back to "Game of Thrones".  A friend of ours works for a newspaper and got the first 6 episodes of the show to review.  So he invited some people over who have been excited about it to watch with him.  I haven't read the books that the show is based on but I love big sweeping fantasy epics so I was thrilled.  The show was awesome overall and something in particular really struck me. 

In the show there's a main female character who is supposed to be beautiful and sexy and (this being HBO) you see her naked for more than a couple scenes.  I'm so used to any girl you see like this on TV or in movies being a skeleton with protruding ribs and visible chest bones but this actress (Emilia Clarke) actually looked a normal person.  You can't count her ribs, let alone her chest bones, and her upper arms are bigger than her elbows.  Hell, she didn't even have a "perfect" sculpted flat stomach.  And she looked amazing!  All the guys in the room thought she was hot and it was so refreshing to see someone who actually looks like a real person on TV.  I'm a fan.  I hope to see more of this in the future.

In other random news, I have a couple links to share.  First off, surprising no one who has dealt with an eating disorder, work and social stress put you at risk for a relapse.  It's why I've been trying to be so careful recently with all this boyfriend grad school/moving stuff.  This is a point when I know I can't afford to let my guard down.  The last few big changes in my life have lead to dangerous eating disorder symptoms and I'm determined to not repeat that.

Secondly, a totally awesome sciency thing I just have to share (being the science geek that I am).  Beard science!  It has one of the funniest pictures I've ever seen in my life.  What happens if you rub a live baby chicken over a beard soaked with an avian virus?  Find out in this exploration of a 1967 microbiology article.

And, that's all I've got!  Hope everyone out there's having a great Monday.