Monday, March 21, 2011

Quick post - from the web

I don't have very long, this being the start of the week from hell at work which is running concurrently with the increased freaking out about this boyfriend grad school thing.  (He got into Duke.  Do I want to move all the way across the country?  Why are the 3 other schools so slow?!)  But I did want to share a couple of interesting things I've seen online.

First off, could the season you were born in increase your chances of developing anorexia? It's an interesting point about very early environmental risk factors if this study is correct.  May birthday here, hmmm.

And secondly.  This one is much more likely to make me want to scream and rip my hair out.  The editor of Italian Vogue is launching a campaign against pro-anorexia.  I've talked about my opinion of pro-anorexia before so it's pretty clear I don't think it's the great evil it's portrayed but let's not even get into that.  Does anyone else see the irony?  Please tell me it's not just me.  I just can't believe that Franca Sozzani (a woman who looks like she has skipped quite a few meals herself) is saying that these sites are bad because they "push young people into competition over their physical shape".  Because her magazine doesn't do that?  Really?  Where the hell does she think the pictures of skinny models on these sites come from?  The whole thing and all the hypocrisy makes me sick. 

Ugh.  Anyhow, back to work.  Hope everyone out there has a great Monday.